We understand it’s frustrating: You look in the mirror and see the first signs of fine lines and wrinkles. They’re around your eyes, your mouth, even your forehead — and they’re bringing their friends! Depending on how much sun exposure you’ve had and how well you’ve protected your skin from sun damage, wrinkles can start showing up as early as your mid-twenties. Regardless of age, the stress you have about your wrinkles can result in lots of money wasted as you try to stop them from getting worse.
Before you can spend your money wisely on products that can truly show you how to get rid of wrinkles, you need to know the causes behind what you’re really fighting.
What Causes Wrinkles?
How your skin ages and wrinkles is a very complex series of events, but the primary factors include:
1. Sun Damage — Repeated exposure to the sun or tanning beds destroys collagen, elastin, and produces abnormal skin cells that do not behave like young skin. Sun damage is the major cause of wrinkling. The number one key of how to get rid of wrinkles is to stay out of the sun!
2. Genetics — Your skin color effects how your skin handles sun damage. Darker skin tones are less vulnerable to the sun’s impact on skin.
3. Chronological Aging — As we age the years negatively influence our skin, just as they do for rest of our body.
4. Hormone Loss — Menopause changes the texture and elasticity of skin. Skin becomes crepey, thinner, and doesn’t bounce back when pinched.
5. Fat and Bone Depletion — Your skin is supported by both fat and bone. As you age, some of that support is lost, which causes skin to sag.
6. Muscle Movement — The parts of your face you use the most wrinkle the fastest and deepest. Plus, facial muscles lax over time, causing further sagging.
7. Disruption of Skin’s Protective Barrier — Unprotected sun exposure decreases vital substances in skin (such as ceramides and lecithin), leaving your skin more vulnerable to damage by the sun, smoke, and pollution.
What About Collagen?
So, you’re at the cosmetics counter inquiring about how to get rid of wrinkles and the anti-wrinkle product you’re thinking of buying claims it can build collagen, resulting in firmer, less-wrinkled skin. That sounds great, but is it really possible?
Let’s put it this way: adding collagen to a skin-care product cannot rebuild collagen! It just isn’t possible, no matter what the claims on the label say.
However, your skin does need collagen because it gives your skin its strength, resilience, and structure. It’s when the skin’s natural collagen becomes damaged by the seven reasons above that wrinkles begin to appear. But, there’s a lot you can do to help repair the damage and bring your skin to a healthier, younger-looking state.
Any anti-wrinkle product worth your time and money is one that can help your skin function as younger skin. AND – it takes an entire skin-care routine, not just one product. Well-formulated skin-care products include lots of antioxidants, ingredients that can put back into skin what it has lost, ingredients that help generate normal cells again, and, of course, SUNSCREEN!
Get Rid of Wrinkles: Learn How to Get Rid of Wrinkles by Knowing What Causes Wrinkles